Saturday 23 April 2016

Nightingales, Lee Valley

An early morning visit to Lee Valley started with a stroll around Cornmill Meadows. Plenty of Sedge Warblers singing as I walked towards Wake hide.



A circular walk only produced a single Common Whitethroat of note, but as I headed towards the top corner I heard the distinctive sound of a Grasshopper Warbler "reeling". Edging closer I managed to get within a few feet of the bush it was singing from, but although it sang constantly for more than 30 minutes I only caught a brief glimpse of the bird.
I moved on to Fisher's Green in search of Nightingales, and it wasn't long before I heard one blasting out it's song. Creeping forward I eventually managed to locate the bird and had great views as it sang it's heart out.

Nightingale

A search of the scrub area between the canal and the river was rewarded with views of Common Whitethroat and at least three Lesser Whitethroats.  Three Bullfinch, Willow Warbler and several Chiffchaffs were all added to the days list before leaving for home.


No comments:

Post a Comment