Friday 1 September 2023

Osprey: Bowyer's Water, Lee Valley

An Osprey was reported at Bowyer's Water in the Lee Valley on the 28th of August. Having not seen an Osprey this year, and worse than that I hadn't seen one in all the years I used to call this site my local patch! So today I had hopes of putting that record right, by visiting late morning. There had only been one report so far today at 9.10am. I decided to set up on the boardwalk so that I had a view of the entire lake. After an hour or so the Osprey suddenly appeared over the treetops and began hunting across the lake. It made one unsuccessful dive but had more luck on its second attempt when it came up with a smallish fish, probably a Perch.

Having caught the fish it quickly headed off in the direction of the Gunpowder mill area.

My first Osprey of the year and even more pleasing to finally add the species to my patch list as I headed for home.










No comments:

Post a Comment