Tuesday 8 February 2022

American Robin: Eastbourne, East Sussex

The last twitchable American Robin on the UK mainland was back in 2010 when one was present from the 10th-18th November in Exeter, Devon. At that time I had just began to travel further afield from my local patch, but a 400 mile and 8-hour return trip in a day didn't even enter our thoughts at that time. However, I didn't think it would be over 11 years before I had another chance of seeing one!

I was sitting at home yesterday when news broke of an American Robin present in Eastbourne. The bird wasn't reported until 3.46pm. With no chance of getting there before dusk, we had two choices, either wait for positive news or go and hope it was still present. We left at 5.15am and received positive news as we were approaching Eastbourne. There were roughly 40 birders already present and we were told the Robin was in or around the bushes behind the garages of the cul-de-sac. It didn't take long before I had my first view of an American Robin, but it was fleeting and not the view I had hoped for! Thankfully during the morning, the bird was seen multiple times giving fantastic scope views perched up in various trees and bushes. 

 








Plenty of familiar faces were seen today and some names put to others, Birding trips to residential areas are not my favourite, but there was no hint of any problems from birders and the locals were very friendly with some taking the opportunity to look through my scope to view the bird. I hope this continues and everyone who visits in the coming days behaves responsibly and respects the surroundings and the residents. 


Birders and residents viewing the bird

While watching the Robin we realised that the Hooded Crow at Polegate was only four miles away. A quick drive along the A2270 and A27 and we had spotted the Crow in the trees behind the Mcdonald's before parking the car.


Hooded Crow

On the way home, we took a short detour to Iford, and although we took the wrong path we managed to pick out the Bean Geese among the White-fronted Geese along the track from the church.

American Robin was right up there on my wish list, and it didn't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment