Wednesday 27 January 2021

Ring-necked Duck, Lee Valley

Prior to 2010, I did the majority of my birding within the Lee Valley and surrounding areas, and now with the lockdown restrictions still very much in place, I have again found myself spending a lot of time birding the lee Valley and particularly the Fishers Green area with early morning visits preferable. 

A visit on Sunday morning at first light failed to find the reported female Ring-necked Duck, but I did manage to add Red-legged Partridge, Grey Wagtail, and Chiffchaff to the year list. Today the Ring-necked Duck was reported again and my daily exercise was spent trying to locate it. Scanning the far bank the Ring-necked Duck came into view. It remained distant among a small group of Tufted Ducks during the visit.


Ring-necked Duck


Since 2012 I've managed to see 11 Ring-necked Ducks, but this was only my second female Ring-necked Duck sighting within that time. The first being back in 2013 at Chigborough Lakes in Essex. 

The year list now stands at 100 

No comments:

Post a Comment